Two Pakistanis among 17 killed in Dubai bus crash | Pakistan Today

Two Pakistanis among 17 killed in Dubai bus crash

DUBAI: A total of 17 people, including two Pakistanis, were killed and nine others were severely injured ‬in Dubai when a bus crashed into a road sign after entering a restricted lane.

The bus, registered in Oman, was making its way into Dubai from Muscat with 31 passengers of different nationalities on board when the accident occurred on Thursday night, Dubai police said in a tweet.

It blamed the Omani driver, who was moderately injured, for the crash saying “at times a small mistake or negligence can lead to adverse consequences”.

Emarat al Youm newspaper, citing Dubai police officials, said the accident occurred when the driver entered a lane not designated for buses.

The bus crashed into a height restriction sign, it said. The bus company Mwasalat said five people were also injured in the accident including two Pakistanis.

It apologised for the crash and said it was suspending all trips between Muscat and Dubai until further notice.

Mwasalat said it was working closely with Dubai authorities to investigate the accident.

The Embassy of Pakistan in Dubai confirmed the death of two Pakistanis in the accident. The Consul General visited the hospital and has been in contact with the local authorities for the repatriation of bodies.

In a statement, the Pakistani consulate said: “A tourist bus from Oman to Dubai crashed on Thursday night (6th June 2019) in Dubai.

“The cause of the accident was the negligence of the Omani driver who disregarded the warning signs and crashed the bus on the low-ceiling bridge. Seventeen people died and nine others were severely injured.

“Out of the dead, two Pakistani have been identified. One is Shafiq from DG Khan. His NOC has been issued and passport also cancelled from Consulate. His body will be transported to Multan by Airblue this evening.

“Second Pakistani died in the accident is identified as Shehzad Khan, son of Sarfraz Khan, his body will be transported to Peshawar after completion of necessary documents. Another Pakistani national, Jamshed Khan had a fracture and left hospital after treatment.

“The Consulate General staff was at hospital and at the Police Station and accident site and assisted in the relief of dead and injured.”

Related posts