Fake call-up notice case: SHC orders NAB chairman to hold inquiry


KARACHI: The Sindh High Court (SHC) on Tuesday decided to hand over fake call-up notice inquiry matter to National Accountability Bureau (NAB) Chairman Justice (r) Javed Iqbal.

A two-member bench of SHC, headed by Chief Justice Ahmed Ali Shaikh, heard the plea filed by a citizen, Shamshad Ali,  pertaining to the issuance of the fake call-up notice to him by NAB.

NAB Director General appeared before the court but failed to satisfy the court.

The bench expressed annoyance at the NAB’s performance and directed the NAB chief to hold an inquiry into the fake call-up notice case.

Justice Ahmed Ali Shaikh asked the DG: “Are you witnessing, what is happening here?’’

Justice Shaikh expressed anger and remarked: “It shows that NAB does not maintain a complete record of its works.” “Why should not we hold an inquiry into the fake call-up notice through NAB chairman?” Justice said.

“We give chance to NAB every time in every case to appear with full preparation but its performance is here in front you.’’

Justice Shaikh told the DG. He asked the official to visit court for reviewing the performance of officers. “We do not want to hurt the status of any national institution,” the judge said.

NAB counsel contented: “NAB has probed the matter and has found that the notice was not issued by the NAB. However, a telephone call was made from the registrar office of an accountability court in Hyderabad after the issuance of call-up notice.”

According to the NAB report, an investigation officer was not authorized to directly issue a call-up notice to the accused person.

The report also stated that police was also probing it.  On April 12, the Sindh High Court (SHC) had summoned director general National Accountability Bureau (NAB) Karachi on April 16, over a fake call-up notice allegedly issued to a citizen.

A two-judge bench headed by SHC Chief Justice Ahmed Ali M Shaikh rejected the report by the bureau’s investigation officer Gul Afridi who also appeared in the court hearing.

It was disclosed that the accused was called from the telephone of the Hyderabad registrar office after the call-up notice.