KARACHI: A schoolgirl and driver of a van suffered minor burns on Friday as the vehicle caught fire in Karachi’s Korangi area.
Senior Superintendent of Police Korangi Ali Raza said that the incident occurred in the Zaman Town area and as per the initial reports “a short circuit in the van led to the fire,” adding that “there was no gas cylinder in the van”.
“Police officials nearby removed the children from the van and dropped them home,” SSP Raza said.
Earlier, on January 5, eight children suffered burns as their school van caught fire near Orangi Town area in Karachi. Following this, the police started a crackdown against school vans fitted with CNG and LPG cylinders. This led to school drivers and owners protesting against the crackdown and demanded that their vehicles are allowed to be fitted with CNG.