KARACHI: The authorities will begin to carry out an extensive operation to curb down illegal encroachments in the Saddar area of the city on Monday.
Earlier on October 27, Chief Justice of Pakistan (CJP) Mian Saqib Nisar had allowed the respective government departments 15 more days to clear encroachments all over Karachi.
While hearing cases in the Supreme Court (SC) Karachi Registry, the CJP had told Additional Inspector General (AIG) Amir Sheikh — the city’s police chief — that since a court order to clear encroachments was already present, the authorities did not need anyone’s permission to launch a citywide operation.
The AIG had assured the court that he was “ready to assist in whatever way [police] can”.
Karachi Mayor Waseem Akhtar had told the court that the authorities had cleared “up to 70 per cent of Empress Market”. The chief justice, however, was not satisfied and had directed the authorities to clear surrounding areas as well.
In response, Akhtar had assured the court: “We will completely clear out Saddar.”