Naqeebullah case: ATC grants bail to three more accused policemen

1
144

KARACHI: An anti-terrorism court (ATC) granted bail to Sub Inspector Muhammad Yaseen, ASI Sapurd Hussain and Head Constable Khizar Hayat on Saturday in the Naqeebullah Mehsud murder case.

Rao Anwar, the main accused in the murder case, was earlier granted bail by the ATC on July 10.

The court ordered all three accused police officers to submit bail bonds worth Rs0.2 million each. Announcing that it would decide on accused DSP Qamar’s bail petition in the next hearing, the court adjourned the hearing till August 18.

So far, bails of five police personnel accused in the case, including Anwar, have been approved by the anti-terrorism court.

In an informal conversation with media outside the ATC in Karachi, Anwar said police officers accused in the case had been ‘unnecessarily put on trial.’

“Some individuals wanted to these officers to give a certain statement but upon their refusal, a false case was made against them,” he told journalists.

Anwar further said false accusations had been made against poor people. A journalist then asked why absconding police personnel had not presented themselves before law enforcement agencies. To this, Anwar said that people will flee if injustice against them continues.

Earlier on July 21, Rao Anwar, prime accused in Naqeebullah Murder case, was released on bail.

 Anwar was indicted in Naqeebullah murder case and illegal arms case whereas former SSP Malir’s bail pleas in both cases were approved on July-10 and July-25 respectively against bail bonds of Rs1 million apiece.

Mehsud, a 27-year-old hailing from South Waziristan, was gunned down on January 13 in Shah Latif Town by alleged ‘encounter’ with a police team headed by Rao Anwar, however; preliminary probe suggests that Mehsud was killed in cold blood and had no terror links.His killing sparked a social media outcry, as his family members rejected claims by authorities that he was a member of the Tehreek-e-Taliban, saying he was an innocent aspiring male model.

Earlier, in a written statement submitted in an anti-terrorism court in Karachi, father of Naqeebullah Mehsud expressed reservations on the court’s ability to act impartially in the case against former SSP Malir Rao Anwar. Mohammad Khan’s statement, submitted through his counsel Faisal Siddiqui, details his lack of confidence in the ATC to impart justice in the fake encounter case against Anwar. Seeking adjournment of hearings, Khan has requested the special case to be transferred to the Sindh High Court (SHC) under Section 526 of the Criminal Procedure Code “(CRPC).

Mehsud, a 27-year-old native of Waziristan, was among three others who were accused of being terrorists and killed by police in what was later termed a fake encounter.

1 COMMENT

Comments are closed.