Report reveals ‘broken bolt’ caused Karachi’s amusement park incident

2
89

KARACHI: The initial investigation report of the derailment of a ride named “Evolution” at the Askari Amusement Park in Karachi’s Sabzi Mandi area on Sunday night said that the incident took place after ride’s bolts broke, a private media outlet reported on Monday.

According to media reports, the initial report stated the swing fell apart after its ball bearings slipped as a result of the broken bolts.

The new ride was opened for a trial on Sunday but was closed right after the accident. Police later shut down the recently-opened park to the public.

The 16-seater ride had fallen apart killing a 14-year-old girl, Kashaf Samad, and injuring at least 16 others. The teenager’s father has announced to pursue legal action against the park’s administration.

Moreover, Karachi commissioner announced that the park would remain closed for the public until a full technical check-up was completed.

OWNERSHIP OF PARK BECOMES A QUESTION:

Following the accident, it became difficult for citizens to ascertain the ownership of the park. The Karachi Municipal commissioner East district denied owing the amusement park. However, according to some media reports, the famous industrialist Zubair Tufail owns shares in the amusement park.

While talking to a private news channel, Tufail said that the swing was brought from China and Chinese engineers, who had installed the swing, have been immediately summoned. He maintained that according to the engineers here, chances of 20 bolts giving away at the same time are quite bleak.

Karachi Metropolitan Corporation (KMC) has also denied owning the land.

Askari Park was bought from the KMC in 2004 — the same year Old Sabzimandi was shifted there from the Super Highway, a media report said.

INVESTIGATION:

While talking to the media today, Karachi Commissioner  Saleh Farooqui said that the investigation is being pursued from two aspects.

“If a criminal element was present, it would be presented during the investigation. The investigation would be conducted in a clear-cut manner,” he said.

He said that the inquiry of the incident will be completed within three days and the owners of the park will be investigated too.

The commissioner said that all possible aid was being given to the wounded. Earlier today, 15 of the citizens wounded in the incident were sent home after receiving medical treatment.

The commissioner also announced that an investigation is being launched in all amusements parks in Karachi. He added that no one has been arrested in connection with the incident so far.

Earlier on Sunday, one person was killed while several were injured after the ride had derailed. Immediately after the tragic incident, the visitors present at the park had attempted to rescue the injured through self-help as the rescue service could not be reached immediately.

The injured persons were shifted to different hospitals where 14-year-old girl Kashaf Samad could not succumb to injuries and passed away. She is said to be a resident of Sharafabad area of Karachi.

Dr Ruth Pfau Civil Hospital Additional Police Surgeon Dr Qarar Ahmad had said that Kashaf had already expired when she was brought to the hospital.

Taking immediate notice of the incident, Sindh Inspector General (IG) Amjad Javed Saleemi had ordered the SSP East to provide emergency rescue services to all those affected at the park.

He also had issued directives for the police to ensure the cooperation of park officials so that details of the incident can be properly uncovered.

 

 

2 COMMENTS

Comments are closed.