–Maryam Nawaz says CJP will be responsible if something happens to Nawaz
LAHORE: The Supreme Court (SC) was informed on Saturday that as many as 4,610 police officials had been withdrawn from the security duty of non-entitled individuals.
Punjab Inspector General of Police (IGP) Arif Nawaz Khan made the statement before a two-member bench, comprising Chief Justice of Pakistan (CJP) Mian Saqib Nisar and Justice Ijazul Ahsan, which was hearing a notice over the provision of security to unauthorised persons.
The IGP, in response to a court query, submitted that 41 personnel for 39 lawyers, 300 for 275 religious leaders and 1,050 personnel in the name of the protocol of 250 “influential citizens” were also called back by the authorities.
He further stated that 49 police mobiles were also withdrawn from the security of non-entitled individuals.
At this, the bench said that it only wanted the security to be withdrawn from individuals who were not entitled. As per the policy, the security should be provided to individuals who have security issues, it added.
The bench, adjourning the further hearing, sought a detailed report within two weeks in this regard.
SECURITY PROTOCOL WITHDRAWN IN CAPITAL:
Meanwhile, Islamabad IG Dr Sultan Azam Temuri also issued directives to withdraw the security deployed for individuals not entitled to it.
As a result, as many as 246 personnel of the Islamabad police were withdrawn from non-entitled persons including 50 personnel from politicians, 86 from civil judges, 33 from former IGs and police officers, 21 from officers of the Islamabad administration, 3 from foreigners while 53 policemen deployed for the security of bureaucrats, media representatives and civilians.
SINDH, KP IGs ASSURE SIMILAR COURSE OF ACTION:
On Friday, Sindh IG AD Khowaja too had ordered the immediate removal of thousands of police guards from unauthorised persons as per the directives of the top judge. It is expected that at least 4,000 policemen would be to barracks in Karachi alone.
Similarly, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) IG Salahuddin Mehsud assured the apex court of following its directives on Thursday. He had disclosed that at least 3,000 personnel had been deputed with different individuals out of which, he said, 70 per cent were not entitled to it.
‘CJP WILL BE RESPONSIBLE IF SOMETHING HAPPENS TO NAWAZ’:
Maryam Nawaz, daughter of ousted premier Nawaz Sharif on Saturday said the top judge would be responsible if anything happened to her father.
Taking to twitter against Justice Nisar’s orders to withdraw security deployed for “unauthorised” individuals, Maryam criticised the former for using a “king size” security protocol himself, by retweeting a video of his motorcade while he was en route to a hospital in Charsadda.
“My Lord! You may take away security from the prime minister who looked terrorism straight in the eye and uprooted it. But if something happens to him, you will be responsible,” Maryam tweeted, in response to the video of the top judge’s protocol.
خدانخواستہ اُسے کچھ ہوا تو ذمہ دار صرف آپ ہوں گے https://t.co/SwXbr7wItE
— Maryam Nawaz Sharif (@MaryamNSharif) April 21, 2018
“The protocol for the CJP includes 35 vehicles. If this isn’t how a kingdom works, then what is?” said the tweet on Maryam’s profile.
On Friday, 54 elite security forces personnel had also been called back from Jati Umra, whereas the police also called back 25 of its personnel from the Sharif family’s security implementing the orders of the apex court.
The action had come after Justice Nisar on Thursday had directed police chiefs of all provinces to withdraw within 24 hours the security protocol provided to influential individuals not entitled to official security.
Meanwhile, renowned journalist Hamid Mir also lamented that the KP police had withdrawn security from Awami National Party (ANP) General Secretary Iftikhar Hussain who, in the past, had survived several assassination attempts.
“KP police has withdrawn the security provided to ANP Sec Gen Mian Iftikhar Hussain who survived many assassination attempts in the past and is still receiving threats. His only son was martyred due to his political resistance against the terrorists,” tweeted Hamid along with the notification addressed to the interior secretary by Iftikhar Hussain.
It’s unfortunate that KPK police withdrawn security provided to ANP Sec Gen Mian Iftikhar Hussain who survived many assassination attempts in the past and still receiving threats his only son was martyred due to his political resistance against terrorists pic.twitter.com/cVo8kOeWqc
— Hamid Mir (@HamidMirPAK) April 21, 2018