One killed as protesters turn violent in Karachi

  • Police baton-charged protesters to disperse them

KARACHI: At least one person was killed while several others injured after protesters clashed with police in Manghopir area of the city while holding a demonstration against the murder and rape of a minor, Rabia, in Karachi.

The family members of the minor along with the area residents staged a protest, completely blocking the road leading to Kati Pahari.

In an effort to negotiate with the protesters, the police officials assured them that DNA samples have been taken from the minor’s body and the probe would resume once the report is completed.

The family members of the minor girl agreed to call off the protest, but others refused to leave till justice was served. Upon this, the police baton-charged the protesters and started aerial firing in an attempt to disperse them. As a result, two were injured while one was killed.


Taking notice of the incident, Inspector General of Police AD Khowaja has sought the report of the incident from SSP West Omar Shahid.

He stated that the family of the victim should be taken into confidence and that the investigation must be conducted on bases of evidence and statements of girl’s family.

Talking about the incident, SSP West Omar Shahid stated that efforts were being made to turn the incident into a political issue while claiming that protest at Kati Pahari was baseless.

He further stated that minor’s father gave names of three suspects, out of which two have been arrested. “Raids are being conducted for the arrest of the third suspect,” he said.

Furthermore, the post-mortem report of the minor, conducted at Abbasi Shaheed Hospital, proved that she was sexually assaulted before being tortured to death.


The dead body of six-year-old was found early Tuesday morning in Manghopir. Although police were earlier hesitant to confirm the report, it was strongly suspected that minor was sexually abused before being strangled to death.

As per media reports, the girl went missing on Monday afternoon from her house and her body was found at top of a hill near Nooruddin Goth.

Duty Officer (DO) Ijaz of Manghopir police station told media that father of the minor came to the station at 9:00 pm on Monday regarding the disappearance of his daughter.

“The father told the police that the girl left her house around 2:00 pm on Monday after her aunt slapped her for not going to Maddrassah,” the DO said, adding a call about the dead body of the minor was received at 12:40 am on early Tuesday morning.

Haji Sanaullah, the area SHO, said that early investigation report has confirmed that child was strangled to death. He, however, on the question of sexual assault, said that the investigation is at the preliminary stage.


Comments are closed.