GAZA: The death toll of the ongoing confrontation between Palestinian protesters and Israeli soldiers has risen to three along the Gaza-Israel borders, medical sources said Friday.
At least 250 others were injured in the clashes, added the sources.
Spokesman for Health Ministry in Gaza Ashraf al-Qedra told Xinhua that one Palestinian had died Friday of wounds he sustained last Friday.
He added some of the injured are in critical conditions as they we were shot by live bullets.
Compared with last Friday, this week’s rally has so far witnessed fewer casualties among the Palestinians, as the protesters had burned a large number of car tires that blocked the sight of Israeli soldiers along the border area.
Since early morning, hundreds of Palestinians arrived in the Gaza-Israel border area to join the “Great March of Return” for the second week.
The organizers insisted that the events should last for six weeks until May 15, the 70th anniversary of the Palestinian Nakba Day.
They also used water canon to try to douse some of the flames.
“I will be a martyr today. I will cross the border,” Ahmed Abu Ghali, 20, who held up his shirt to show his still seeping wound from last week that required 40 stitches.
“I was wounded last Friday but escaped yesterday from hospital,” said the protester at the rally east of Khan Yunis.
Israel’s military said there had been “rioting” in five locations along the border.
It added that “troops are responding with riot dispersal means, and fire in accordance with the rules of engagement”.
Israel had warned that its open-fire rules would remain unchanged for Friday’s protests, pledging to stop any damage to the fence and prevent infiltrations or alleged attacks.
But it has faced mounting criticism over its use of live fire, and UN chief Antonio Guterres called for restraint.
“I particularly urge Israel to exercise extreme caution with the use of force in order to avoid casualties. Civilians must be able to exercise their right to demonstrate peacefully,” he said in a statement.