SC orders Naqeebullah JIT to expedite probe as police get Anwar’s custody


–SC wraps up suo motu proceedings of Naqeebullah murder case, directs JIT to conduct fair probe

–Former Malir SSP produced before Karachi ATC in tight security, handed into police custody for 30 days


ISLAMABAD/KARACHI: The Supreme Court (SC) on Thursday disposed of the suo motu proceedings of the Naqeebullah murder case, ordering the newly-formed joint investigation team (JIT) to work independently of media reports and expeditiously conclude its investigation.

Meanwhile in Karachi, former SSP Malir Rao Anwar, who is the prime accused in the Naqeebullah case, was produced in an anti-terrorism court (ATC) for the hearing of a case. The ATC granted police a 30-day physical remand of the suspended police official.

In its four-page order, the apex court ruled, “We are sanguine that the investigation by the JIT will be conducted fairly, transparently and independently without being influenced by any proceedings/orders passed by this court in the past or by the adverse media coverage. The investigation shall be concluded expeditiously.”

The JIT, headed by Additional Inspector General Sindh (IG) Aftab Ahmed Pathan, includes Additional IG Special Branch Waliullah Dal, Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Azad Ahmed Khan, DIG East Zulfiqar Larik and SSP Central Dr Rizwan.

“We also direct the elders of the Mehsud family, some of whom are present, not to directly or indirectly threaten or cause harm to the life of Rao Anwar in any matter,” the order said.

The IG Sindh or whosoever succeeds him shall take all necessary steps and will be directly responsible to protect Anwar during the period of his custody with the police,” the order added.

Moreover, the court ruled that Anwar’s name shall remain on the Exit Control List (ECL) until further orders.

Earlier on Wednesday, Rao Anwar, who had been absconding in the extra-judicial murder case for a month, appeared before the SC after the court, at the last hearing, gave the suspended cop another chance to surrender himself and warned those facilitating Anwar of repercussions.

Anwar was wanted in the murder case of Naqeebullah Mehsud, a 27-year-old native of Waziristan, who was among three others killed in an extra-judicial encounter on January 13, reportedly carried out on Anwar’s orders.

Appearing before the bench, Anwar’s counsel sought protective bail from the court but the chief justice dismissed the plea and gave orders for his arrest.


In Karachi, more than 20 police mobiles and two armoured personnel carriers escorted the former Malir SSP. to the ATC.

The ATC judge had ordered the police to produce Anwar before the court. Investigation officials told the court that Anwar would be produced before an administrative judge, after which he would appear before the ATC. ATC Judge Khalida Yaseen, however, dismissed this argument and ordered police to produce Anwar during the ongoing hearing. Ten other police officials who had been arrested earlier also appeared in court on Thursday.