QUETTA: Two policemen were killed in a targeted attack on the convoy of DSP Hameedullah Dasti at Quetta’s Samungli Road on Wednesday.
The convoy was attacked by unidentified personnel; however, the DSP remained unhurt while two police officials accompanying him were killed as a result of the firing. The deceased were identified as Muhammad Tahir and Ayub Shah.
A child was also injured during the attack, Quetta Civil Hospital spokesman Waseem Baig told a local newspaper and added that he is being treated at the trauma centre.
Dasti was going to office when he was targeted by miscreants who reportedly had already been present at the site of the incident. Subsequently, as result of the retaliatory firing, the attackers managed to evade the police.
Talking to a local media outlet, DSP Dasti said: “I have been working on some pivotal cases and had to visit the court regarding them today.”
“Apart from that I had been receiving threats from banned outfits as well,” he added.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack. However, police sources termed the incident as an act of targeted killing in the city.
Later on, Balochistan Chief Minister Mir Abdul Quddus Bizenjo strongly condemned the attack and ordered an immediate inquiry into it, besides directing the authorities concerned to nab the culprits.
The incident follows a series of similar attacks targeting police and other law enforcement officials in the city. Quetta was on high alert since ten days pertaining to a terror threat and a ban was imposed on pillion riding because of this.