Family claims alleged accomplice in suicide attack on Rao Anwar innocent


KARACHI: A man, allegedly involved in an attempted suicide attack on the convoy of former Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Malir Rao Anwar, was innocent, according to the claims made by his family and as per the allegations was killed in an extra-judicial police encounter.

Rao Anwar on January 16 had claimed to have escaped a suspected suicide attack on his vehicle in Karachi and while talking to a private news channel, stated that he remained unhurt in the attack in the city’s Malir Cantonment area.

According to the details of the suicide attack narrated by Anwar, the suicide bomber died during the explosion and two of his accomplices were killed in the crossfire after the failed assassination attempt

The family of Gul Saeed, one of the killed suspects, now claims that the 34-year-old was a driver and not a terrorist.

Saeed, a father of two and a resident of Orangi Town had gone missing for a few months and upon investigations by the family, was found to be dead. His body was located at a morgue where authorities declined to hand over the body without a permission letter from the police, according to the details given by Saeed’s brother Shoaib Khan, who himself is a school teacher.

The police refused to provide the letter and instead asked the family to bring a CNIC copy, and said to carry out a DNA test of Saeed and family,

Only after the family resorted to protesting did the police give a permission letter and the body was handed over to them. Talking to media, Shoaib decried the brutal killing of his brother and said action should be taken against Anwar.

Meanwhile, the other two suspects killed by Anwar are yet to be identified.

Earlier on Friday, a 15-page report by the inquiry committee investigating the Naqeebullah Mehsud murder case was submitted to the Supreme Court (SC) according to which around 444 ‘accused’ terrorists were killed on the pretext of police encounters under Anwar’s tenure. The data has been collected from July 25, 2011, to January 19, 2018.

The report lists the total number of police encounters that have occurred in the District Malir area in between July 25, 2011, and January 19, 2018.

The report reveals that the during the period, 745 police encounter cases were registered, in 192 cases the accused were killed and in 553 the accused weren’t killed. At least 891 suspects have been arrested in police encounter cases.

However, it is expected that the numbers could be much higher as the data for certain months, during the stated period, is not mentioned in the report.


Comments are closed.