–Former Malir SSP says won’t appear before any inquiry committee ‘when there’s no hope for justice’
–SSP Investigation says suspended police official and his associates will be arrested if they do not to cooperate with police
–Says all efforts to contact former Malir SSP failed, notice to appear before inquiry committee also pasted outside Anwar’s residence
–Father of Naqeebullah demands justice for extrajudicial murder of his son
KARACHI: Rao Anwar, the former senior superintendent of police (SSP) Malir district, who is under scrutiny over his alleged involvement in the extrajudicial killing of Waziristan native Naqeebullah Mehsud, failed to appear before Sindh Inspector General of Police AD Khowaja and the National Commission for Human Rights on Monday.
A day earlier, a notification was issued by SP Investigation East Abid Qaimkhani summoning the defiant Anwar to appear before the IG and the Commission at 10:30am Monday.
High-ranking police officials had arrived at the Central Police Office and waited for Anwar and four other officials who had been summoned. However, the time given passed without any sign of Anwar or the other officials.
Meanwhile, Rao Anwar said that he will not appear before the investigative committee probing the Naqeebullah fake encounter case.
In a brief telephonic conversation, Anwar said that there is no point in going where there’s no hope of justice. He alleged that a malicious propaganda against him is being perpetuated, and dismissed the allegation that he unlawfully held people under his custody.
The former Malir SSP claimed that he is facing a one-sided inquiry.
Anwar said that a few days back Sindh IG AD Khowaja announced Rs0.2 million award for police officials behind a shootout at Shahrah-e-Faisal, but later the police encounter turned questionable.
“Does it mean the IG Sindh was involved in the killing,” questioned Anwar.
Talking to a private news channel in the evening, Anwar said that he has fought many fights for Pakistan, and the issue involving Naqeebullah’s killing should not exacerbate the situation at the cost Pakistan’s security situation.
He said that he might have made a mistake, but complained that he had not been given a fair chance to defend himself.
“I have not been trusted … I did not have bad intentions and might have been mistaken,” the former SSP said.
FATHER OF SLAIN NAQEEBULLAH DEMANDS JUSTICE:
The father of slain Naqeebullah Mehsud’s arrived in Karachi on Monday and demanded justice for the extrajudicial murder of his son.
“I want justice for my son,” Khan Mohammad said, adding that he was thankful to those who had stood united with him to seek justice for the murder of his son.
Naqeebullah’s father said the entire country was saddened by the killing of his son.
“It was Naqeebullah’s wish that his son would serve in the Pakistan Army someday,” he said.
Also A jirga (tribal assembly of elders) of the Mehsud tribe has camped in the metropolis’ Sohrab Goth vicinity.
Earlier in the day, Geo News reported that a raid was conducted at the Rao Anwar’s residence and two individuals were taken into custody, however, AD Khowaja refuted the report.
Addressing reporters after Rao Anwar failed to show up before the inquiry committee, SSP Investigation Abid Qaimkhani said that the suspended police official and his associates will be arrested if they fail to cooperate with the police.
Qaimkhani said strict departmental action will be taken against people found involved in the case.
The official said that the police have been unable to contact the former Malir SSP, adding that senior officials tried to contact Anwar through various sources, but to no avail. He added that a notice was also pasted outside Anwar’s residence.
“This is the first part of the process, whatever will happen, it will be according to the law and all legal criteria will be fulfilled,” he said.
SSP Qaimkhani said that the case will be investigated on merit, and no pressure of anyone will be taken by the department.
Naqeebullah, a 27-year-old hailing from South Waziristan, was allegedly among four suspects killed in an ‘encounter’ with a police team headed by Senior Superintendent of Police Rao Anwar in the Usman Khaskheli Goth on the outskirts of the metropolis last week.
At that time, Anwar had alleged that the slain suspects were involved in several high-profile terror cases and had ties with terrorist outfits Lashkar-e-Jhangvi (LeJ) and the militant Islamic State (IS). However, Naqeebullah had not been specifically named.
Acquaintances and relatives Naqeebullah disputed the police claim that the deceased was a militant affiliated with the banned Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP).
However, a relative of Naqeebullah, whose national identity card bears the name Naseemullah, claimed that the deceased was, in fact, a shop owner fond of modelling.
On January 13, the committee formed to probe the killing of Naqeebullah Mehsud in a “fake encounter” had termed Rao Anwar’s allegations against the 27-year-old “baseless” and suggested the senior police official be put on the Exit Control List (ECL).
Following the submission of enquiry committee’s initial report, Sindh Inspector General of Police (IGP) AD Khowaja suspended Rao Anwar from his post.
On Sunday, Rao Anwar accused the probe committee’s head and a member of having biases against him as he boycotted the committee proceedings.
Anwar, along with other suspects, had been asked to appear before the DIG East on Sunday night at 11pm to record his statement, but he failed to show up.
Anwar announced he was boycotting the proceedings as “two members of the police inquiry team— Additional Inspector General Sanaullah Abbasi and Sultan Khawaja— held ‘personal biases’ against him”.
Earlier in the day, almost all SHOs of Malir district were transferred by the acting city police chief ostensibly on recommendations of the committee probing the alleged extra-judicial killing of 27-year old Naseemullah, better known as Naqeebullah Mehsud.
[…] Post Views: 24Source: Google News […]
Comments are closed.