NABLUS: Israeli forces set up roadblocks and deployed around a major Palestinian city in the occupied West Bank Nablus on Wednesday in a manhunt for attackers who shot dead an Israeli settler.
Rabbi Raziel Shevach, a 35-year-old father of six, was driving in his car on the highway near his home in the Havat Gilad outpost when shots were fired at him from a passing car before 8 p.m. on Tuesday, reported by The Times of Israel.
Shevach, a volunteer medic, was shot in the neck but managed to call his wife and tell her to call an ambulance. Civilian and military medics rushed to the scene and tried to stop the bleeding as they took him to Kfar Saba’s Meir Hospital, where he was pronounced dead after life-saving efforts failed, TOI added.
Some 22 gunshots were found in his car, Israel’s army radio reported. The gunshots reportedly came from a passing vehicle.
“Entrances and exits to and from the villages surrounding Nablus will be possible only after security checks,” the military said in a statement.
“The review of the incident is on-going. Based on situation assessments, it was decided to reinforce the area with additional forces.”
The area frequently sees tensions between hardline Israeli settlers and Palestinians.
Palestinian security sources said they were not aware of any arrests yet, but added that Israeli settlers in the area had thrown stones at Palestinian cars.
Israeli officials strongly denounced the attack, while Hamas, the Islamist movement that runs the Gaza Strip, welcomed it.
Sporadic unrest has occurred since US President Donald Trump provoked Palestinian anger by recognising Jerusalem as Israel’s capital on December 6.
Fourteen Palestinians have been killed since then, with most of them shot dead in clashes with Israeli forces.
It was unclear if Tuesday’s shooting had any link to Trump’s announcement.