Special children’s torture case ‘settled’ in Lahore court | Pakistan Today

Special children’s torture case ‘settled’ in Lahore court

LAHORE: Two bus conductors who were caught on camera torturing special children in a bus have reportedly come to a settlement with the victims in court on Sunday.

As the accused appeared before Special Judicial Magistrate Naveed Awan in the Model Town Courts, the two parties informed the judge that they had reached an understanding.

However, the judge has adjourned the hearing until Monday and sent the suspects on a judicial remand.

The two suspects, Hafiz Usman and Akram, were arrested and booked under sections on child protection and threatening in Ghalib Market police station on Friday after two videos showing them to be torturing school children with disabilities surfaced on social media.

According to reports, the two suspects confessed to their crime during interrogation but they added that they were trying to “stop the kids from mischievous activities”.

The videos of the incident were shot by a fellow passenger on his mobile phone who then sent the videos to electronic media.

In the video, the suspects can be seen physically abusing two children who are students at Gung Mahal School for the Deaf and Dumb in Gulberg.

A 12-year old boy is seen to be forced to dangle from the bus passenger support bar while Usman stands nearby and laughs at the victim’s terrorised face. Usman can then be seen inserting his finger in the boy’s mouth as he screams for help.

Towards the end of the clip, Akram can be seen slapping another boy’s face for refusing to leave his seat and telling the perpetrators through hand gestures that he would report them to his parents.

The incident was brought to the school principal’s attention, following which the two bus conductors were suspended.

The school also contacted the student’s parents who said that the children had also complained of abuse in the past. The parents have asked the government and school administration to take action against the abusers and ensure children’s safety.

Chief Minister Shehbaz Sharif has taken notice of the incident and formed a special committee for its investigation. He has sought a report within 72 hours.

Police have said that they would bring the perpetrators of this inhumane behaviour with children to justice according to law.

Related posts