- Kashmiri leaders issue strike call over killings
Eight people were killed in Indian-held Kashmir Sunday after a gun battle broke out between Kashmiri freedom fighters and Indian army, officials said.
The freedom fighters were hiding in a south Kashmir village when Indian military and police surrounded it and a fight broke out.
“Four militants were killed and four weapons were recovered from the encounter site,” claimed army spokesman in Srinagar, Col Manish.
“Two soldiers were also killed and three injured during the encounter.”
Two civilians, including the son of the owner of the house in which the freedom fighters were hiding, also died, police told AFP.
Clashes occurred between Indian government forces and protesters in the aftermath of the battle and at least 25 people were injured including 12 with bullet injuries, authorities said.
Three freedom fighters managed to escape, and a heavy police contingent has been deployed in the area “to maintain law and order”, Indian police added.
Meanwhile, in the wake of the Joint Resistance leaders’ call for shutdown, Indian police in held Kashmir announced Sunday there would be no curfew-like restriction on Monday across Kashmir, but necessary security arrangement would be made to maintain the law and order.
According to Inspector General of Police for Kashmir, Javaid Mujtaba Geelani, all necessary measures will be taken to maintain law and order and deployment will be placed to keep vigil.
“There will be no curfew or restriction in Kashmir, but all necessary steps have been taken to keep calm,” the IGP said.
Appealing to the people to maintain peace, Geelani said that people were requested not to pay any heed to the rumours and maintain calmness to avoid any untoward situation.
The Joint Resistance leadership – Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Mohammad Yasin Malik – have called a complete shutdown on February 13 and “Kulgam Chaloo” on February 15 against the killings of two civilians during a gunfight in Frisal village of Kulgam district earlier on Sunday, triggering protests and clashes.
Authorities are likely to impose restriction on internet services, keeping in view the present situation in the Valley. Mobile internet services will be suspended by midnight of February 12. However, broadband services will remain unaffected.