India has categorically rejected the purported allegations made by Indian national Kulbhushan Yadav in a video released by Pakistan.
India’s reaction came hours after Pakistan army released a video in which its spy Yadav purportedly confessed his “involvement” in terror activities in Balochistan.
In a statement on Tuesday evening, the Ministry of External Affairs demanded immediate consular access to the person. The ministry indicated that India’s investigations show a very different narrative from the one Pakistan is putting out.
“Our enquiries reveal that he apparently was being harassed while operating a legitimate business from Iran. While we probe this aspect further, his presence now in Pakistan raises questions, including the possibility of his abduction from Iran,” the ministry said in the statement.
Denying the statements made by Yadav in the video that he had been instigating Baloch organisations including students for “maiming and killing” Pakistanis, India said it denied “this individual was involved in subversive activities in Pakistan at our behest”.
India has acknowledged Yadav is an Indian citizen and a former naval officer. They have asked for consular access to him, which has been denied by Pakistan. “…we have not been given consular access to an Indian national under detention in a foreign country, as is the accepted international practice. We are naturally concerned about his well-being in these circumstances.”
Commenting on the statements, the ministry said, “The video has this individual making statements which have no basis in fact. That the individual claims to make the statements of his own free not only challenges credulity but clearly indicates tutoring.”