Nisar denies civil-military divide

1
67
  • Interior minister says 9,000 names removed from ECL
  • Operation to be launched against people who aren’t getting their arms licenses renewed

 

Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan has denied reports of any divide between the civil and military leadership and said that both the government and the army are on one page.

Addressing a press conference at Punjab House on Friday, the interior minister regretted that certain people have made it a habit to discuss civil-military relationship on daily basis. He said that Army Chief General Raheel Sharif proceeded to the US visit after consulting Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif. He emphasised that foreign visits of the prime minister and the COAS are undertaken in the interest of the country.

The interior minister said action has been sped up against human smugglers and Pakistan would raise its voice against the violation of fundamental rights of Pakistanis at every forum. He pointed out that Pakistan had been facing the problem of human smuggling for years and FIA is working to eradicate those involved in the crime.

He said during the last year, more than 90,000 Pakistanis were deported and those arrested overseas are treated inhumanly. He said that during 2009, the government signed an agreement with the European Union about the deportees, which is now being reviewed. He said he would be meeting the European Union Delegation on Monday and the issue would be considered at that meeting. He said the government is also considering a proposal to convene a meeting of Ambassadors of all the European Union countries to inform them about serious concerns that the government has.

He said that licenses that are not renewed by December 31, 2015 would be cancelled and an operation will be launched against those who haven’t had their licenses renewed from January 1, 2016.

He said funds of Rs 1.06 billion have been released for NACTA and it would be on its feet in the next six months. He said hundreds of NGOs were working in Pakistan against only 19 had formally applied for registration.  He said everyone will have to work by remaining within the ambit of law of the land.

Nisar said after thorough checking names of 9,000 people have been removed from the ECL. However, he said there remain 3,000 people on the ECL. He assured that those involved in acts of terrorism and heinous crimes would not be removed from the ECL.

The Interior Minister emphasised that he takes decision in the interest of the country, setting aside the party politics.

1 COMMENT

Comments are closed.