Revolutionary SHIUs to start working from today


In order to expedite the investigation process, provide timely justice to the effectees of murder cases and fix criminals involved in ruthless activities, first time in the history of the Punjab Police, Specialised Homicide Investigation Units (SHIU) comprising of 478 officers will start working from today.

Whereas, 1,489 trained, honest and professional officials will assist these investigation officers.

This was stated by Punjab Inspector General of Police (IGP) Mushtaq Ahmad Sukhera while addressing a seminar regarding the establishment of SHIU in Punjab held under the auspices of UNODC at a local hotel on Wednesday.

Punjab prosecutor general, Forensic Science Agency DG, RPO Multan, Justice (r) Dr Khalid Ranjha, member of UNODC and investigation officers from all over the Punjab were also present on the occasion.

The IGP said that the police have been working hard on this initiative for the past one year and Tariq Masood Yasin the then additional IGP Investigation were assigned the task.

He said that for the purpose 2,000 investigation officers have been selected across the province and their integrity and honesty was scrutinised by the special branch.

He said that as many as 540 investigation officers have been picked from the intial pool of short listed candidates, for investigation training at Police Training College, Chung, Lahore.

Among them, 478 officials passed the training course and during the training, the senior officers and experts of Forensic Agency also trained them on modern lines in various sections included evidence collection, preservation of crime scene and completion of legal proceedings.

The IGP said that these investigation officers will operate from police stations. Among these, 78 in Lahore, 52 Sheikhupura, 75 Gujranwala, 45 Rawalpindi, 52 Faisalabad, 33 Sargodha, 40 Multan, 36 Sahiwal, 32 Bahawalpur and 35 will operate from DG Khan.

Sukhera further said that each officer will investigate only 20 murder cases in a year and he would not be assigned any other job. He said that the 60% of total investigation costs will be paid to these officers as imprest money, whereas, the rest 40% will be paid on submission of complete Challan. He stated that these officers will be supervised and monitored by the DSPs and SDPOs respectively.

The provincial police officer further said that these officers have been provided with the latest investigation kits containing all basic tools with the purpose to immediately preserve the crime scene and collect evidences. The cost of each kit is Rs 35,000.

Sukhera expressed the hope that all selected investigation officers will perform their duties honestly and professionally for the success of the revolutionary step which was taken by the police to make the province peaceful and crime free.

On this occasion, RPO Multan Tariq Masood Yasin briefed about the process of training of those investigation officers who have been picked for the purpose. He also hoped that the initiative will open a new chapter in the investigation circles of law enforcing agencies particularly.

Earlier UNODC representative Cesar Guedes said that the UNODC plans to continue supporting the Punjab Police in the development of specialised mobile crime scene investigation units in Gujrat, Gujranwala and Sialkot as per the vision of IGP, along with a specialised training programme.

“The UNODC will provide 550 first responder kits for the protection of the crime scene,” added the representative.