Won’t let you go – JUW bars student transfers


Jinnah University for Women (JUW) has barred students from transferring to other institutes fearing a high drop rate, Pakistan Today has reliably learnt. 

The varsity has told students that they will have to complete the academic programme that they are enrolled into. Students who want to shift to another university will not be able to do so.

As per details, a lot of students of the JUW have lost hopes of getting enrolled into other public or private institutes after the administration’s notification. Unless a student completes a degree programme that they are enrolled into they cannot get out of the university, or they can leave their programme half way.

Many students, who have passed four semesters at JUW, and are looking to join another university for their master’s by getting a bachelor’s degree, have been told that they will not be awarded with a bachelor’s degree, and they would have to get masters’ degree from the varsity.

The university management has told such students that they would not be given a bachelors degree or the consolidated marks sheet of four semester, equal to bachelors, for enrolment to any other university.

A JUW student, who wished not to be named, narrated her story to the scribe.

“I wanted to get admission in the University of Karachi after my intermediate, but could not do so because of my low percentage. Then I planned to improve my grade in bachelors by getting an admission in JUW, but the varsity administration has refused to award me a bachelors degree and told me to complete the four years programme for a degree,” she said.

To testify her claim, when this scribe visited JUW and met with the controller of examination, he said that the varsity has stopped the conversion of the degree programme. When he was asked how such a decision could be made, he said that the vice chancellor would be the appropriate person to respond this question.

JUW Vice Chancellor (VC) Prof Dr Naeem Farooqui when approached for comments said that the varsity would allow only those students for conversion who are getting married in the near future of those who are willing to shift abroad with their families, but they would have to submit a stamp paper mentioning reason for conversion.

When he was asked that this policy clashed with HEC rules and regulation, he said the varsity has taken this decision after taking all the stakeholders into confidence and he would have to follow this policy.

As per Higher Education Commission (HEC), a student, who is enrolled for a masters degree programme in any recognised university, can get a bachelors degree for admission in any other higher educational institute.

Earlier, students were able to acquire a two years bachelors degree which they could use to gain admission into another institute.