PM to inaugurate second phase of Quaid-e-Azam solar power project today


Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif will inaugurate the second phase of Quaid-e-Azam Solar Power Project at Bahawalpur today (Tuesday) that would add 300 megawatt (MW) electricity to the National Grid.

In the first phase of the project, 100 MW electricity will be added to the grid.

The Quaid-e-Azam Solar Park will be expanded to produce 300 MW in second phase by 2015, while in third phase it will add another 600 MW with a total power generation capacity of 1000 MW by 2016.

The project will be completed by Chinese company TBEA and produce electricity at a cost of Rs 15 per unit.

The Bank of Punjab is providing 75 per cent of funding for the project, while the remaining 25 per cent will be provided by the Punjab government.

The project has 400,000 solar panels costing $ 131 million.

A 132 KV transmission line for 400 MW has already been installed, while another 220 KV line to carry another 600 MW will be completed in one-year time.

In the second phase, officials said, the solar project would add 300 MW in the system by 2015 and 600 MW power by 2016 in the third phase.

The completion time of the whole project producing 1,000 megawatt is 2.5 years.