Sharifs would do anything for damsels in distress

  • Nawaz, Shahbaz take notice of torture on nurses, Muzaffargarh gang-rape case
  • CM announces Rs 0.5m for family of Muzaffargarh rape victim, suspends DPO, reprimands RPO, orders arrests of DSP Asghar, investigating officer, SHO

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif on Saturday discussed the issues of torture on nurses and Muzaffargarh gang-rape case.

The prime minister in a meeting with the CM at Raiwind said that the government was doing its best to provide basic facilities to masses. He directed the CM to take steps for provision of relief to the people.

Talking about torture on nurses and Muzaffargarh gang-rape case, the PM directed for provision of justice to the victims and asked to take strict action against the persons involved in these condemnable incidents.

Separately, the chief minister announced Rs 0.5 million for the family of the rape victim who set herself on fire in Muzaffargarh. He visited the family of the victim in Muzaffargarh and assured them that those responsible for the tragedy will be held accountable. He also said that he will do everything he can to give her justice.

Shahbaz had taken notice of the incident earlier and had directed the authorities concerned to submit a report.

While speaking to the media, Shahbaz said that the investigating officer Rana Zulfiqar had done great injustice and that the incident was “a slap on the face of humanity”.

Shahbaz suspended Muzaffargarh District Police Officer (DPO) Usman Akram Gondal and reprimanded Regional Police Officer (RPO) Abdul Qadir Qayyum. He also ordered Punjab IG Khan Baig to arrest the culprits as soon as possible.

The chief minister also ordered that the Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Chaudhry Asghar, the investigating officer and the SHO be arrested.

The girl had set herself on fire on March 13 in front of the Mir Hazar Khan Police Station after hearing that the suspects who had allegedly raped her were granted bail. With 70 percent of her body burnt, the girl succumbed to her injuries on March 14 in the hospital.

The father of the deceased, while speaking to the chief minister, claimed that the investigating officer took Rs 70,000 as bribe and had declared the suspected rapists innocent and released them on bail. The mother of the victim also threatened to set herself on fire if justice was not delivered.

According to intelligence sources, the officials were reprimanded on the fact that the culprits were not adequately taken to task inspire of a strong FIR against the accused. Sources further revealed that the police knew beforehand about the intentions of the girl that she was about to commit suicide but did not take any action.