APCNGA welcomes crackdown on gas pilferers


The All Pakistan CNG Association (APCNGA) has appreciated the government’s decision to launch crackdown on gas pilfering, saying the move could save the national exchequer Rs 250 billion in losses.

APCNGA Supreme Council Chairman Ghiyas Abdullah Paracha said, “The grand operation would convey a strong message to dishonest elements to stop nefarious practices. The move would also help in resolving the prevailing energy crisis and provide level playing field to all stakeholders.”

Appreciating the decision he said that this indicates that Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif were fully focused on resolving the energy crisis. He said that implementation of ban on natural gas generators will reduce energy crisis by 30 per cent, while action against industrialists involved in illegally generating electricity through natural gas and selling it will settle the gas crisis.

“Out of all UFG (unaccounted for gas) estimated at Rs 30 billion yearly, 16 per cent gas is stolen when government officials allegedly collude with consumers, while the remaining 84 per cent gas theft is carried out by top notch officials of the gas companies,” he added.

According to reports, SNGPL and SSGC were taking effective measures to successfully implement the drive against gas theft without any discrimination. The federal and provincial government has extended full support to the two companies in this regard.

SNGPL and SSGC have been directed to strictly implement the government’s policy and provide gas connections to the domestic and commercial sectors and to resolve all outstanding issues.


GAS STATIONS SEALED: Special Task Force in their crack down against gas pilferage found two CNG stations involved in gas theft and arrested owners of the stations.

According to details, the Task Force conducted a raid on stations and disconnected gas connections of Unique CNG and National CNG found involved in gas theft through meter tempering.

Gas Department Media Chief Officer Shahid Akram said that National CNG was involved in gas theft of Rs 40 million while Unique CNG stole gas worth Rs 37 million. He informed that a FIR has been registered against both the owners.

Regional Police Officer (RPO) Javed Iqbal has directed the local administration to take action against people involved in gas theft with the help of police and the general public.