FO denies direct contacts with Taliban for Doha talks | Pakistan Today

FO denies direct contacts with Taliban for Doha talks

Foreign Office spokesman Aizaz Ahmed Chaudhry has denied reports about direct Pakistani contacts with the Taliban regarding Doha talks.

During his weekly briefing in Islamabad on Thursday, Chaudhry said Pakistan was happy about the dialogue between Afghanistan and Taliban.

He said in his visit to Islamabad, US Special Representative James Dobbins updated Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif regarding recent developments in Doha between Afghanistan and the Taliban.

Regarding Nawaz and President Hamid Karzai’s telephonic conversation, he said both leaders discussed the Afghan peace process.

He said Pakistan had always maintained its stance to facilitate all steps necessary for the Afghan reconciliation process and would continue its role as a facilitator in the future.

To a question, he said Nawaz believed in talks with the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan and was ready to engage them in dialogue to resolve internal security threats.

Regarding Saudization policy, the spokesman said Pakistan had taken many steps to regularise its citizen’s stay in Saudi Arabia, including holding job fairs and correction of their documents.

He said Pakistan had also sought an extension in the deadline set by Saudi authorities in this regard.

Chaudhry said the prime minister would undertake an official visit to China in the first week of the coming month.

He said dates for the visit would be determined through diplomatic channels.

He said during the visit, various agreements in the field of energy and setting up an economic corridor between the two countries would be signed.

The FO spokesman said civil nuclear deal was an ongoing process between Pakistan and China and both countries would continue the process.

Regarding Minister Planning and Development Ahsan Iqbal’s visit to China, the spokesman said total focus of his visit was economic.

He said US Secretary of State John Kerry would visit Islamabad next month and dates were yet to be finalised. However, the spokesman said the visit of British prime minister to Pakistan could not be confirmed.

Chaudhry said bodies of Chinese tourists killed in Nanga Parbat incident had been sent to their country, while those of the other countries would be sent today.

He said Pakistan was carrying out intensified investigation and some of the culprits had been identified.

To a question about presence of terrorist in Northern Areas, Chaudhry said the Foreign Ministry was not in a position to comment on that.

However, “our unity on the issue of terrorism will ensure the security to foreigners and our countrymen”, he added.



Related posts

Top