Samsung phone explodes in pants pocket, hurts man


Another Galaxy smartphone has exploded and injured its owner. Bupyeong Fire Station in Incheon on Sunday said a 55-year-old man reported the previous day that his smartphone battery blew up in the pocket of his pants.

The Galaxy S2 and battery that exploded in a schoolboy’s pants pocket in Gwangju in March last year /Newsis
The man said he was carrying a Samsung Galaxy Note along with a spare battery in his pocket before they suddenly blew up. He is being treated for second-degree burns to his right thigh.

In March last year, a schoolboy in Gwangju suffered an injury when his Galaxy S2 smartphone exploded in his trouser pocket.

The latest accident has not been reported to Samsung yet, a company spokesman said. “Lithium ion batteries can catch fire due to external pressure or sudden changes in temperature, so we’re trying to understand what really happened,” the spokesman added.


Comments are closed.