Despite an announcement by Interior Minister Rehman Malik, commercial activities in the twin cities remained suspended on Monday. Malik had announced on Sunday that the government had made arrangements to keep the situation at the long march under control, and all business and commercial activities would continue. However, business and commercial activities remained fully suspended and not a single shop remained open in the Blue Area on Monday. The trader’s community had earlier announced that they would keep their shops open, but all business remained halted the next day. The community had requested the government to provide them security and had requested Qadri to compensate them for any damages incurred in the event of a violent protest. They said it was unfair that their businesses had to suffer loss due to the vested interests of a single individual. Traders said the situation was not conducive to business and no one would take responsibility for any possible damages.