Delhi gang-rape: Girl critical, admitted to Singapore hospital; Another woman raped in Uttar Pradesh


The 23-year-old Delhi gang-rape victim was admitted on Thursday morning to the Mount Elizabeth Hospital’s intensive care unit in Singapore in an extremely critical condition, a hospital spokesperson said.
“The patient arrived at Mount Elizabeth Hospital’s intensive care unit this morning in an extremely critical condition,” the spokesperson said on Thursday.
“She is being examined and the hospital is working with the Indian High Commission. We request that the privacy of the patient and family be respected,” the spokesperson said.
Earlier, the Indian High Commission in Singapore said that the plane carrying the girl landed at the Changi International Airport at 7.30am (local time).
Earlier, the rape victim was flown in a special air ambulance to Singapore.
“Her health is precarious, that’s the main issue before the government,” said a Union minister, not wanting to be identified. Doctors at Safdarjung Hospital where Nirbhaya (a symbolic name given to the victim by the TOI) was being treated for the last one week were hesitant to hold out hope. “Still, the fight to save her is just as strong,” said a doctor.
Safdarjung Hospital sources said Singapore’s Mount Elizabeth is equipped to deal with trauma and serious medical complications. It is also capable of carrying out multiple organ transplants. It is understood that Amar Singh’s kidney transplant took place at this hospital.
Niirbhaya is being accompanied by Dr P K Verma, incharge of Safdarjung Hospital’s ICU, who is leading a team of doctors, many of them from Medanta. Her father and mother are also accompanying her. Three air ambulances have been pressed into service – two of Safdarjung Hospital’s and one of Medanta’s.
The decision to take Nirbhaya to Singapore is understood to have been taken at the highest level. The Union cabinet discussed her worsening health condition on Wednesday morning and considered options for her medical care abroad. Government is also concerned about fresh protests if the worst can’t be averted, and is therefore keen to be seen to be doing its very best to save Nirbhaya.
Nirbhaya’s condition worsened last night when she suffered a cardiac arrest and was revived after administration of CPR (cardiac pulmonary resuscitation). Through Wednesday, doctors at Safdarjung hospital struggled to fight the infection seeping through her body.
Sources said the government has been considering the possibility of an intestine transplant but Nirbhaya can undergo this only after the sepsis threatening to overwhelm her weakened immune system recedes. Moving Nirbhaya abroad will also mean that Safdarjung hospital is no longer a focus of protestors and media attention.
As word of Nirbhaya’s impending transfer spread, the crowd outside the hospital began to swell as protestors began to arrive along with BJP state chief Vidender Gupta. The victim was shifted from Safdarjung hospital in a Medanta ambulance, from the Gurgaon-based multi-speciality hospital run by heart surgeon Naresh Trehan. A team from Medanta also examined Nirbhaya on Wednesday.
Speculation mounted earlier in the evening as for the first time in several days, there was no official word on Nirbhaya’s medical condition.
Doctors did not issue a health bulletin and media persons were awaiting official word on her condition. Nirbhaya’s family members were also unavailable for information.
Nirbhaya’s health concerns loomed in the backdrop of plans for a protest march by women’s groups on Thursday that had police on tenterhooks. Another round of protests could precipitate a fresh confrontation with the government.

Another woman gang-raped in moving car, dumped in Delhi
A 42-year-old woman was sedated and raped allegedly by three men in Uttar Pradesh who then dumped her in south-east Delhi, police said on Thursday.
The fresh case comes close on the heels of a 23-year-old girl being gang-raped in a moving bus in south Delhi on December 16.
Police claimed that the woman, who hails from Jaipur, was raped somewhere in Vrindavan and then dumped in south-east Delhi’s Kalkaji area on late night.
The incident came to light around 9.15 pm when a passerby saw the woman lying on a road and called the police.
The victim had gone to Vrindavan on December 22 and was returning home yesterday.
She met Verma (the accused) there and he accompanied her in a car to her hometown. On the way, Verma’s two friends joined them.
“She told us that she was gagged, sedated and raped by the trio. They took turns to rape her. A medical examination has confirmed rape,” a senior police official said.
Police said she was conscious and taken to AIIMS where she is undergoing treatment.
A case of gang-rape under section 376(G) has been registered.
One of the accused identified as Dilip Verma has been detained.
Delhi Police spokesperson Rajan Bhagat said Verma was picked up from Agra and he is being brought to Delhi for interrogation. He claimed that he knows the victim for five years.
Three teams have been formed and are raiding several places to catch the other two accused.
A senior police official said it is claimed that the woman had earlier tried to get a rape case registered in Agra but after investigations, police did not file any case as they found the allegations to be false.


  1. Exemplary punishment is the only deterrent for criminals who commit rape in gang. Such criminals are scum of any human society and must not be allowed to continue with their heinous crime. A society where women are unprotected can't be considered as civilized.

Comments are closed.