We are not scared of Sena: Zaka

0
86

Chief of Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Zaka Ashraf on Thursday said that his team is not scared by the threats of Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray.
Ashraf said that they wasn’t scared of any political threat as the Indian Government had given clearance to the series and has advised Bal Thackeray to keep away from extremism and move forward with positive thinking. He said that both countries are looking to move forward with a positive mindset ensuring that both are benefited with the resumption of ties.
Thackeray had earlier termed the invitation extended to Pakistan’s cricket team by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) as a matter of “national shame”.
“The Pakistan team will be playing matches at Delhi, Kolkata, Chennai and Bengaluru. At one point or the other, Pak (Pakistan) terrorists have attacked these cities. The feet of Pakistani players won’t touch Maharashtra but their tour of these cities is a matter of national shame,” Thackeray had said.
The Shiv Sena chief also accused the BCCI of “betraying the country for sake of money” and Indian cricketers of being part of that betrayal. Meanwhile, the Indian government has assured three-tier security for the Pakistani players.
Pakistan had last toured India in 2007 for a full-fledged series. However, following the Mumbai terror attacks in November 2008, ties between both countries had come to a bitter halt. BCCI had initiated the resumption of cricketing ties earlier this year to which PCB willingly agreed.
India promises tight security
Against the backdrop of Shiv Sena’s threat to disrupt the upcoming Indo-Pak cricket series, the Centre on Thursday said it would provide the best possible security to players and spectators of the neighbouring country. Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde said that sports and politics should not be mixed as the cricket series will pave the way for improving bilateral ties between India and Pakistan. “When cricketers from other countries come to India, not only from Pakistan, it is our duty to protect them. We will discuss and provide best possible security. We are going to be very alert,” he said when asked about Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray’s threat. Mr. Shinde said there would be no compromise on the security of Pakistani cricketers and spectators. “We should not mix sports and culture with politics.
There should be different views. This series will pave the way for the revival of better ties between the two countries,” he said.The Home Minister said the limited over cricket series should not be mixed with the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks, which was carried out by Pakistan-based terror outfit LeT. The Shiv Sena chief had on Monday had called upon “staunch Hindus and patriotic people of India” to disrupt cricket matches between India and Pakistan due to be played in the country next month.
Mr. Thackeray also lashed out at Mr. Shinde for his statement “to forget the past” and play cricket with Pakistan. The series would comprise three ODIs and two Twenty20 Internationals between December 2012 and January 2013. The ODI matches will be played in Chennai, Kolkata and New Delhi and the Twenty20 games in Bangalore and Ahmedabad. The two countries have not played a bilateral series since Pakistan’s tour of India in 2007. Cricket ties between the two countries were snapped following the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his then Pakistani counterpart Yousuf Raza Gilani had watched the high-profile World Cup semi-final in Mohali last year.
Asked about Pakistani Interior Minister Rehman Malik’s proposed visit to India for operationalisation of the new India-Pakistan visa pact, Mr. Shinde said when he met Mr. Malik in Rome on the sidelines of the Interpol General Assembly meeting, the Pakistani leader conveyed that he may come on November 22—23.
“We are yet to finalise the dates. We will give our response. They will also give their response. Then the dates will be finalised,” he said.