Hamid Saeed Kazmi’s acquittal plea in Hajj scam rejected

0
78

Special Judge Central (FIA) Khalid Shabbir on Friday rejected the identical petitions, filed by former minister for religious affairs Syed Hamid Saeed Kazmi, seeking acquittal from the Hajj corruption case being innocent.
In its short verdict, the court stated that no one has been indicted in the case so far nor any witness has appeared in the case. Therefore, the accused will be indicted on May 30 and adjourned the hearing till then.
The judgment on the petitions was reserved on Wednesday.
Accused former Federal Minister for Religious Affairs, Hamid Saeed Kazmi, former director general (Hajj) Rao Shakeel and former joint secretary (Hajj) Aftab-ul-Islam Raja had appeared before the court on Wednesday.
Sardar Naseer Sagheer, Counsel for Kazmi pleaded that his client was wrongly involved in the corruption case, which was evident from the findings of FIA that it found no embezzlement on the part of the former minister.
He said the investigation team also examined the bank accounts of Kazmi and found no illegal money and transactions.
Kazmi’s counsel argued that the ministry hired 129 residential buildings for accommodation of Pakistani Hujjaj in Saudi Arabia at cheaper rates and its credit should also go to Kazmi, if he is being implicated in acquiring 87 buildings at higher rates.
Judge Khalid Shabbir issued contempt of court notice to Deputy Director of FIA Naveed Tareen for not submitting challan of the case timely.
Later talking to media, Hamid Saeed Kazmi said a decision to file appeal would be made after detailed judgment was given. He said the FIA could neither present any proof nor any witness against him.
He regretted that his case was being prolonged, saying that even terrorists are released after two to three months in the absence of any proof against them.