US admits it lacks evidence to convict Hafiz Saeed

3
52

The United States has admitted that it lacks the evidence to convict Jamaat-ud-Dawa chief Hafiz Saeed of terrorism despite slapping a $10 million bounty on his head for his capture and conviction, UK-based Daily Telegraph reported on Thursday.
The decision to name Saeed, founder of Lashkar-e-Taiba, on the US State Department’s most wanted list has provoked an angry reaction in Pakistan where even liberal commentators fear that Washington was acting without proof in order to cosy up to archrival India.
At a regular briefing, State Department spokesman Mark Toner was forced to clarify the US government’s position, pointing out that the reward was for evidence that could be used to secure Saeed’s conviction.
“We all know where he is. Every journalist in Pakistan and in the region knows how to find him. But we’re looking for information that can be usable to convict him in a court of law,” he said.
However, he admitted that so far the US lacked proof that would withstand judicial scrutiny. “There is information, there is intelligence that is not necessarily usable in a court of law,” he said.
Saeed was arrested after the 2008 Mumbai attacks, which killed 166 people, but was released in 2009 on appeal.

3 COMMENTS

  1. How about if Pakistan puts a bounty on an american citizen's head? How about if that person is Pat Robertson (a religeous leader)? I wonder how would america react?

Comments are closed.