Rs 630m fraud: FIA told to catch fraudster by 27th

2
84

The Supreme Court on Wednesday directed the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) to ensure by January 27 the arrest of Mian Khurram Rasool, former media coordinator to the prime minister accused of Rs 630 million fraud.
It also ordered the recording of a statement by Nargis Sethi, then principal secretary to the prime minister, as she was the complainant against Rasool. A three-member bench of Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry, Justice Khilji Arif Hussain and Justice Tariq Parvez passed the order while hearing a petition filed by Parvez Hussain and others against Rasool, who allegedly swindled over Rs 630 million from a Karachi-based business concern on the pretext of managing a petroleum export licence for it to NATO supply and the award of a contract of Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG). The court noted that an important aspect of the case was that Nargis Sethi had lodged the complaint against Rasool and in her complaint she said there was secret information that several other senior officers were also involved in the matter. The court also directed FIA to ensure by January 27 the recovery of Rs 630 million, allegedly extorted by Rasool.
During the hearing, the chief justice remarked that if allegations were proved right, it would be the biggest crisis of the country as the prime minister and his secretaries were named in the case. Taking strong exception to the non-appearance of FIA Director General Tehseen Anwar Shah despite a court notice, the chief justice said Shah was explicitly violating court orders. “He will have to face action for leaving abroad without intimating the court,” the chief justice remarked.
FIA Additional Director General Chaudhry Sajjad Ahmad sought a week’s time for Rasool’s arrest. The chief justice, however, said sufficient time had already been granted in the case and no more time would be given. He observed that influential people might influence the case, thus Rasool’s arrest must be ensured by Friday. He said it was a serious matter, as it involved a crime against the state. “People from top to bottom are involved in the case,” the chief justice remarked. To a court query, Ahmad said both Rasool and his brother were present in Pakistan. The FIA additional director general submitted that statements of the petitioners, including Pervez and Sameer were being recorded before a first class magistrate. He submitted the statement of Sameer Khan before the court, according to which, Khushnood Lashari, on orders of the prime minister, interfered in the matter and hindered Rasool’s arrest. “The case should not be considered an ordinary one and the statements must immediately be recorded”, the chief justice said. Ahmad also told the court that he had faxed the statements of the petitioners recorded by the FIA the other day (Tuesday) to Lashari, principal secretary to the prime minister, and FIA’s former directors general Malik Iqbal and Waseem Ahmad. “However, they have denied their involvement in the case,” he said.

2 COMMENTS

  1. I dnt thnk any such matter persists,becoz there is a good judicial system in Saudia and Govt. Serves the People in every field regarding basic rights…

Comments are closed.