Tiger Woods withdraws from British Open

0
70

Injured 14-time major champion Tiger Woods announced on Tuesday that he was pulling out of next week’s British Open, casting further doubt on whether he will ever recover his form of old. Woods, a three-time British Open champion, contacted Royal and Ancient chief executive Peter Dawson to explain why he cannot compete July 14-17 tournament at Royal St George’s.
“Unfortunately, I’ve been advised that I should not play in the British Open,” Woods said in a statement. “I am only going to come back when I’m 100 percent ready. I do not want to risk further injury. That’s different for me, but I’m being smarter this time. I’m very disappointed and want to express my regrets to the British Open fans.” Woods has not won since November 2009, just before the eruption of a massive sex scandal that ended his marriage.
He sprained a ligament in his left knee and strained his Achilles tendon in the third round of the US Masters in April. Woods, who has ad four knee operations, aggravated the injuries in May when he started the Players Championship but was forced to withdraw after nine holes. “In hindsight, I probably shouldn’t have competed at The Players, but it’s a big event, and I wanted to be there to support the tour,” Woods said. “I’ve got to learn from what I did there and do it right this time and not come back until I’m ready.”
That means Woods will miss his second major championship in a row, having also been unable to compete in last month’s US Open, which was won by Northern Ireland’s 22-year-old sensation Rory McIlroy. Woods, 35, said last week that he thinks he will be able to break the all-time record of 18 majors won by Jack Nicklaus despite nagging left knee injuries, noting, “I’m 35 not 65.” “I think my best years are still ahead of me, and I’m very confident and optimistic about the future,” Woods said Tuesday.