US ‘strongly condemns’ Kabul hotel attack | Pakistan Today

US ‘strongly condemns’ Kabul hotel attack

The United States condemned Tuesday a Taliban suicide attack on the Intercontinental Hotel in Kabul, offering condolences to victims but providing no details on the number of casualties.
At least one suicide bomber and several gunmen attacked the hotel typically frequented by foreigners and Afghan officials, police and officials said, in a brazen strike claimed by the Taliban. Witnesses reported hearing three explosions late Tuesday at the high-security hotel on a hill overlooking the Afghan capital, as gunmen penetrated the building and sparked a shootout.
The State Department indicated that all US diplomatic staff were safe and confirmed US special envoy Marc Grossman and all the members of his visiting delegation had safely departed the country and were en route to Washington.
“The United States strongly condemns the attack on the Intercontinental Hotel in Kabul, which once again demonstrates the terrorists’ complete disregard for human life,” it said in a written statement. “We extend our condolences to the families and friends of the victims of this attack,” it continued. “All chief of mission personnel are accounted for.
We do not have any information about private American citizens at this time, but continue to follow up on the situation.” Grossman had been in Kabul for talks with Afghan and Pakistani officials on peace talks with the Taliban as the United States seeks to wind down its hefty military involvement in the country after nearly a decade of war.



Related posts

Top