SC seeks govt’s stance on 686 illegal appointments in PQA | Pakistan Today

SC seeks govt’s stance on 686 illegal appointments in PQA

A three-member Supreme Court bench on Thursday directed Attorney General Maulvi Anwarul to submit within two weeks government’s stance over 686 illegal appointments in Port Qasim Authority (PQA).
The bench comprising Justice Javed Iqbal, Justice Khilji Arif Hussain and Justice Anwar Zaheer Jamali was hearing a suo motu case about 686 illegal appointments from grade 2 to 21 in PQA by Ports and Shipping Minister Babar Khan Ghauri and other authorities and a petition of sacked secretary of PQA Abdul Jabbar Memon challenging his removal.
Appearing on notice, PQA Chairman Rear Admiral (retired) Muhammad Shafi told the court that the appointments had been made during the tenure of PQA’s former chairman Vice Admiral (retired) Asad Qureshi.
Abdul Jabbar Memon, the sacked secretary, told the court that although those appointments had been made during the tenure of authority’s former chairman, yet the old directives were endorsed by the incumbent chairman, which he said was ‘illegal’.
“A strict legal action would be taken against the incumbent chairman if it is proved that he regularised the illegal appointments”, Justice Javed Iqbal observed.
Justice Javed Iqbal said, “We are not against giving employments to the people, but these employments should be made strictly on merit and in accordance with the rules”.
He said majority of these appointments were made from specific constituencies. He said three person of a family were appointed in grade 17, 18 and 19 the same day. He said these appointments should be declared illegal and a new advertisement should be made in this regard.
He said the court would also take strict action against those who played role in illegal appointments. Federal secretary Ports and Shipping Muhammad Saleem Khan also appeared on notice.
The court noted that 90 percent of the 686 people appointed in PQA were from two constituencies of Karachi and their appointments were against the law and merit policy.
Justice Javed Iqbal observed that the court will summon all the responsible officials involved whether they are ministers or other government’s high ups.
To a court query, the incumbent PQA chairman said all the service arrears of sacked secretary, Abdul Jabbar Memon, had been paid to him. But Memon contended he was not paid. The court then directed the chairman to file a written statement on the payment issue. Memon said he was fired because of his criticism of the irregularities in the appointments He said the authority even owed him his last five months’ salary and that his family was facing problems.
He asked the attorney general to apprise the government about the illegality of PQA appointments. Later the court adjourned hearing for two weeks.



Related posts

2 Comments

  1. ahsan nisar said:

    in donoon logoon kay comments jhute pe mubane hain

Comments are closed.

Top