Malik Iqbal as FIA DG irks SC

0
65

The Supreme Court on Friday expressed dissatisfaction over Malik Iqbal’s appointment as the FIA director general noting that he himself was involved in criminal cases. The court also expressed severe dismay over the FIA’s failure to complete the investigation into the Haj scam, directing the agency to complete the probe within one week and submit a compliance report.
A six-member special bench – comprising Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry, Justice Javed Iqbal, Justice Raja Fayyaz Ahmed, Justice Sair Ali, Justice Asif Saeed Khosa and Justice Ghulam Rabbani – was hearing a suo motu case against alleged corruption in the Haj arrangements. The court also expressed dismay over the transfers of FIA officials who were investigating the Haj scam noting that “any official who reaches near to completing the investigation is transferred”.
The court gave a clean chit to journalists who allegedly performed Haj on government expenses, asking the FIA not to harass them. During the hearing, FIA chief Malik Iqbal presented the investigation report over the Haj scam in the court and submitted that FIA Additional Director General Javed Ali Bukhari had been removed from the investigation, whereas another investigator, Hussain Asghar had been separated from the investigation on his request. The chief justice said Bukhari and Asghar should be proceeded under the charges of misconduct.
He also sought a report on separating FIA officials from the investigation. The court also expressed dissatisfaction over the recovery of only Rs 40 million so far of the total Rs 460 million. Justice Iqbal said the FIA chief should himself investigate the scam. The chief justice said evidence was available to proceed against influential people involved in the scam.