Can’t do it by yourself? Ask big brother for help


KARACHI – The Sindh government has sought the Centre’s help to take action against the bhatta (extortion) mafia which is harassing the business community of Karachi. The development came at a meeting held at the Sindh Chief Minister’s House. Chief Minister Qaim Ali Shah and Interior Minister Rehman Malik jointly chaired the meeting.
According to an official handout, the chief minister ordered the law enforcement agencies to ensure that extortionists do not harass the business community of the country’s commercial hub. The chief minister decided to personally monitor the situation to ensure that the business community is given complete protection. Shah also directed the Sindh chief secretary, IGP and Rangers to take all stringent steps to address the business community’s problems.
The chief minister also sought the help of the federal government to help them in terms of supplying real-time intelligence and providing assistance from the Cyber Crime Wing of the FIA in tracing phones calls made by individuals involved in extortion. The meeting appreciated the professionalism and dedication shown by law enforcement actions by Sindh Rangers and police. The meeting observed that the law and order situation in Karachi is one of the main concerns of the Sindh government.
It was observed that Rangers have been especially requisitioned by the Sindh government for maintaining peace in Karachi they have been empowered vide Section of 5 ATA 1997 to undertake this task. The CCPO Karachi in his briefing informed the meeting that during the first month of the current year, 125 persons were killed – out of them 37 fell victim to targeted killings.
He informed that 64 people were arrested to probe targeted killing cases.
He added that 10 FIRs were lodged in connection with doctors’ murders during 2010-2011, in which 13 people were arrested. He further informed that there were 1,956 encounters and 692 gangs busted and 90 bandits were killed and 2,332 arrested. The CCPO added that 36 policemen died and 105 were injured.