Policemen have their funeral, but clues still elude investigators

0
62

LAHORE – The funeral prayers of three policemen of Mujahid Force squad who lost their lives in the bomb explosion yesterday were offered at Police Line Qila Gujjar Singh on Wednesday.
CM Punjab Mian Shahbaz Sharif, Governor Punjab Latif Khosa and several high officials including the Police IG attended the funeral prayers of policemen Haji Nazir (Chuhng), Shahbaz (Iqbal Town) and Allah Ditta who lost their lives during the Lohari Gate suicide attack on Tuesday evening.
Chief Minister Punjab Mian Shahbaz Sharif praised the courage of the deceased policemen for saving hundreds by sacrificing their lives. He promised a grant of Rs 3 million each to each policeman’s family and provisions for the education and other expenses of their children.
Similarly, Inspector General Punjab Javed Iqbal paid tribute to the police officials and hoped police officials will remain active to secure people. He announced that the CCPO Lahore would supervise a three member enquiry committee to investigate the blast.
He claimed no arrest had been made and that the bomber’s body parts had been sent for DNA testing. Samples Sent for Forensic Test: Police sources confirmed that investigators have preserved samples from the alleged suicide bomber’s shredded body for DNA testing.
Police sources said the DNA record could help the investigation, with a possible DNA match allowing the bomber’s identification. Investigation teams collected circumstantial evidence from the blast site. They recovered ball bearings and tiny iron pieces used in the explosives and sent them to the Police Forensic Lab for examination.
Investigators also collected CCTV camera recordings from cameras close to the blast sites those from a local bank. Sources said the footages points to three suspects, including the bomber. On anonymity, a police investigator said four suspects were in police custody after last nights search operation and police was investigating links with banned militant organizations.
He further said no major clue had been recovered and police was working on different lines. The crime scene remained cordoned off till 12pm with vehicular traffic stopped. However after 12pm, investigators had removed two damaged police vehicles from the bomb site and restored the road for vehicular traffic. FIR: New Anarkali Police after initial reluctance registered an FIR stating that two accomplices of the suicide attacker fled the scene of the blast.
FIR No 48/11 registered under Anti Terrorism Act and Explosive Substance Acts sections states that three unidentified attackers reached the site intending to target public. One, the attacker, approached the spot while two others monitored him. After the attacker, 13, exploded his accomplices fled the scene.
Security Concerns: Lahore Police has beefed up security at all important places and buildings, mosques and Imam Bargahs after reports of future terrorist activities. Sources said agencies reported four suspected suicide bombers entered Lahore before the 10th of Moharram. After Tuesday’s blast, law enforcement agencies started search for the remaining three would be suicide bombers in the city.
The police have been directed to increase patrolling at and around sensitive places and main roads. Police have received directions to enhance checking at entry and exit police pickets.