Targeted operation by police and Rangers personnel in Karachi, launched in September 2013 on the orders of the central government, have completed two years.
Reportedly, incidents of target killings, kidnapping for ransom and extortion in the city have reduced by seventy percent.
In a media briefing in Karachi on Saturday, Colonel Amjad reported that 550 alleged target killers, 343 extortionists and 913 terrorists have been arrested since the start of the operation. Two hundred and fifty nine law enforcement personnel also embraced martyrdom.
Additional IG Karachi Mushtaq Mehar stated that 35% of the operation is still remaining because sleeper cells of banned outfits exist in the city, which will be eliminated soon.
He informed that robbery incident have decreased by 65% and incidents of street killings have reduced by 50%. Before launch of the operation, the city witnessed eight incidents of target killings each day but now the number has reduced to two.
The Additional IG said that more than 15,000 illegal weapons have been confiscated so far. He said high-profile cases will be sent to the military courts.
Mushtaq Mehar said continuation of Karachi operation is vital to restore peace in the city.